Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry is a vast field that deals with the overall dental health of children. This speciality not only deals with treatment aspects but also education, motivation and prevention of Oral diseases.
The Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry, was established in 1992 and offers under graduate with an intake of 40 students per year. In the under graduate program, the subject will be introduced in the third and final year, where the students are taught of the basic principles of pediatric dental care through lectures, tutorials, discussions, demonstrations and clinical training.
The department is spacious and well illuminated with 16 dental chairs and an area of 2800sq. ft., the décor of the clinic is aimed towards distraction of the patient with soft music and an ambience that provides a relaxed atmosphere to carry out various types of treatment. Attractive dental (children) chairs have been placed to make the child comfortable and to enjoy his appointment. There is an exclusive play area of about 500 sq. ft., which has books and games for children. The children are also entertained with toys and portrayal of dental procedures to allay anxiety of children.
“THE RIGHTS OF THE CHILD” All children, without exception, shall be entitled to the rights to enjoy adequate prenatal and post- natal care, and also Special care for child with disability.
To be recognized as a best institution and well equipped hospital in education, patient care, research, and community service.
- Support and Maintain Academic Excellence through evidence based practice
- Provide patient-centered quality Dental Care from infancy to adolescence
- Provide oral health care to underprivileged and differently abled children
- Prevent and intercept oral diseases in children with use of recent technologies
- Understand the oral health needs of the community and promote disease prevention
- Maintain a successful continuing education program for career-long learning
- Promote research and develop graduates who are highly competent, ethical, socially responsible and culturally sensitive professionals.
The faculty comprises of dedicated and committed professionals including one professor, two readers, four senior lecturers and one BDS staff. The educational training is designed to be comprehensive in nature to stimulate critical and creative thinking amongst students. This educational experience enables the students to manage with competence all phases of pediatric dental care and to communicate professionally.
|Dr. Nagarathna P.J||M.D.S||Professor and Heademail@example.com|
|Dr. Vidya K.B||M.D.S||Sn. Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Jithendra Kumar||M.D.S||Sn. Lectureremail@example.com|
|Dr. Jagadish S||M.D.S||Sn. Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Rajani A.T||B.D.S||Lectureremail@example.com|
Teaching methods in practice includes lectures using power point presentations; clinical chair side training; clinical case discussion and problem solving; audio visual aids using charts, models and posters; demonstrations; group discussions; tutorials; text book discussions; individual question – answer sessions.
LEARNING METHODS FOLLOWED:
UNDER GRADUATE LEARNING METHODS:
Students complete preclinical exercises before they start clinical work. Demonstrations for the clinical procedures are given during the clinical postings. Group discussions and viva-voce are also conducted on a regular basis. All students are monitored on a regular basis, and they are evaluated periodically. Supervision of the treatment rendered by students and interns.
The department library comprises of
- Pulse oximeter
- Digora-Digital Radiography machine
- Thermoplastic gutta-percha filling unit
- Digital apex locators
- Digital pulp testers
- Fully programmable front loading autoclaves
- Bluephase light curing units
- TENS unit
- Magnifying loupes
- Handpiece sterilizer
SATALLITE DENTAL CENTERS
- Gurupur dental center
- Al-Amir dental center.
- Oral prophylaxis and Fluoride application
- Sealant placement
- Restorative and aesthetic dentistry
- Endodontic treatment
- Prevention and interception of malocclusions.
- Minor surgical procedures